Before we get this blog underway, I thought I would set the tone with a funny but true meme from Law and Order: SVU.
1.How would you search for an exact word or phrase?
Use quotation marks around the specific terms needed to be searched.
“Law and Order“
2. How would you search for something on a specific site?
Input the search topic and the key phrase “site:” followed by the desired website.
Law and Order site:amazon.ca
3. How would you correctly search for a definition?
Initialize the search query with define followed by the desired definition. For example:
4. How would you search for a specific product available within a specific price range?
Search the desired product with “..” entered between the lowest and highest price point.
Law and Order DVD $10..$20
5. How would you search for a specific filetype?
Enter the desired topic followed by the phrase “filetype”. For example:
Law and Order filetype:PDF
6. How would you include or ignore words in your search?
In order to ignore words within your search, you must place a “-” before the undesired word.
Law and Order –SVU
7. How would you find sites/pages similar to an existing one?
Initialize the search query with the command “related:” with your desired website or webpage.
8. How would you confirm the exact form of a quote even if you were missing some of the words?
Use an “*” to fill the missing words in the desired quote.
Early * gets the worm
9. How would search for pages containing two connected words?
Use a “-” in order to search for pages with two connected words.
10. How would you search for social media content containing a specific tag?
Use an “@” or “#” for any trending topics.